Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fashion faux pas

I was going through Bangalore Times yesterday, as part of my daily after college ritual. Along with all the loads of celebrity gossip and the various completely idiotic yet completely convincing relationship advice, there are also posts on fashion. All these days I was ignoring these articles and yesterday, in a fit of boredom I actually did read the complete article.

It was worth it! My fashion sense still remains zero but I did manage to have a good laugh. I don't understand fashion.
Firstly, all those horrible things they do to clothes just makes it seem like a waste of good cloth.
Secondly, most of the things they drape models with rarely fits anybody other than them.
Thirdly, most of their designs (especially the summer collection) seems too garish to wear in decent company.

Some of the clothes that do make it to the market (and are wearable) are too bloody expensive for the common man to purchase. Such being the case, I wonder how that whole industry survives on the clothing equivalent of gluttony on the part of a few millionaires.

Most importantly, I doubt if many people understand fashion. I was reading about the "fashion advice" that these fashion gurus give to people like us. And how moronic are all of us who go by their taste of clothing. Something that they say is suddenly the "in thing" and something that somebody refuses to use suddenly becomes outdated. There are few people who pull the fashion strings and crown themselves the fashion-makers.

Should we let the tastes of a few people rule our cupboards? Should we lets the whims and fancies of a few people allow us to mimic stars and lose our individuality? I don't think so. Fashion is surprisingly one of the biggest industries today and I suppose there are many out there who disagree with me.

A beautiful woman looks beautiful in whatever she wears (the gay types please look elsewhere). I don't think that by wearing pink shoes with a black dress suddenly makes her sprout hitherto unseen pimples and freckles and suddenly go out of shape and make her look hideous.

Beauty is skin deep!

And don't get me started with the "bikini collection". Nobody cares what damn designs you do on them. They are never seen or noticed. If you do start looking at the designs then you must seriously reconsider you orientation.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. I agree on the bikini collections...whatever kind of bikini is displayed, no one would really care about the covering fabric!

    you're completely right in saying that beauty lies in the mind and not in the dress you wear...i mean, no self respecting person would want to be liked only because of his/her attire...

    I personally don't care much about my fashion sense at informal occasions...i usually feel at ease in sandals, with cotton trousers and a t-shirt or a shirt not inserted ( i usually call it outshirt :P )...


    but, as a fact, fashion designing is quite a science in itself, or so i believe....because people have to get noticed to succeed....you may dress outrageously like lady gaga or not, but a good dress always gets noticed...it need not be crafted by some manish malhotra or some bidapa guy...

    ReplyDelete