Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dear Cricket,

It has not been the easiest of 3 years for us. We have broken up and gotten together more times than even SRK has in his film career. There is no denying the tremendous part that you have played in shaping me as a person. I still remember the day I went to Olympic Sports almost 10 years ago to buy my first bat. Consequent bats might have followed but it is something similar to a wizard first choosing his wand. The touch felt magical.

I remember those first few days of our association when I woke up every morning to wear those oversized shirts and struggle to run a complete lap in the ground. The first match and the first tournament now seem a blur, but i clearly remember the pride when i won the "Best Batsman" award. It is to this day, my most coveted award. My first half century came in a small pitch and I still remember the sheer exhilaration I felt after winning the match and scoring those 50 odd runs.

The first of many victories, and the first of many more defeats.

I came into school, bragging childishly about my supposed exploits in You. I did manage to get noticed and play for my school as well. It was both a pride and a responsibility to play for school. Thanks to You, I became recognized as "that cricket kid" in school and subsequently came to represent the whole cricket team. If not for you, I would probably have turned out to be just another student in school.

The friends I made during our 10 year courtship and the invaluable lessons learnt both on and off the field are too many to be mentioned here. I came to understand myself better because of you.

You may think that I am being unnecessarily squeamish about this whole affair, but it is high time we reached a conclusion.


There is no easy way to say this, we have to break up. We have both forseen this day arriving. Somehow, I do not experience the same thrill when I pick up a bat now. I do not feel the same berserker-like emotion to succeed. Somehow, the losses have not been hurting that badly and the wins do not seem that sweet.


Tomorrow is perhaps my last chance for us to get back together. And I am not going to take it. For the present, I no longer have any interest left to play. I know it is impossible to let go of you completely, but I have taken the decision I think is best for myself.

This is it.

Goodbye

2 comments:

  1. I guess Engineering does take the life out of ppl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this really happening? And 10 days before the world cup?

    ReplyDelete