Monday, May 17, 2010

Symbiosis

Symbiosis!! I remember atleast one word from bio! I'm proud of myself.

I was cleaning my room today morning. As is the case in every room cleaning attempt, amidst dirt and dust and screaming parents, there is the chance for every teenager to irritate his/her parents by doing exactly what he was told and nothing more. Today was no different. I started with the fan and came down to earth and promptly ended the show with the traditional sweeping and swabbing. I heaved a very audible sigh of relief. Just when I was about to go downstairs and demand my rightfully earned glass of coffee, my father pointed to the windows with the usual, when-will-you-learn face.

Looking out, I saw loads of spiders with their cobwebs almost covering one of the windows. I thought a lot before removing them. Apparently they did not look good and was looking extremely dirty (I had to agree with them, it did look bad). But everything ugly is not useless. Those cobwebs were protecting me from mosquitoes and flies and many other insects. The few times they did try entering my territory, they were swept back and now the spiders had learnt their lesson, they did not invade my territory and were protecting my room from many insects. I on the other hand was delaying the inevitable by allowing them to prosper on my window sill for as long as possible. It was a perfect symbiotic relationship.

Are aesthetics the only things that matter? Do we never consider the use before we brand anything useless?

Man trying to protect the environment is like a little child playing with its building blocks. It keeps making everything fall and fall again before finally coming out with the right design and then abandoning it. WE are now in the blundering stage where we're concerned with ripping things apart and then realizing that what it was is much better than what we will ever be able to create. What happens by itself is much more exciting than anything we can simulate.

Me trying to suggest that we stop our rip-n-study philosophy is foolish because we have advanced quite a bit in that technique. Trying to work out another techniques will take time and energy.

I miss my dear spider friends now. Them and their awesome designer cobwebs. The cobwebs which would shine like silver in the moonlight (or tubelight :P).

I broke out of this reverie when the cobweb cleaning stick was thrown at me. Then without a second look, I cleaned the cobwebs.

God help me this night!

No comments:

Post a Comment