Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Marriages

And once again I find myself writing about marriages!

I just came back from a certain marriage. It sucked! Sucked because I didnt know anybody there. The only person I knew in the whole hall was my Grandpa along with whom I had gone there.

9 30 AM sharp, we reached there. And at first we thought we were in the wrong place as even my Grandpa couldn't recognize anybody there. Finally we found one old person who was giving us a look as if thinking "that fellow looks familiar". And after talking to him for about 5 minutes and going back 5 generations, both my grandpa and him were convinced that they were related in some way. Thank god for that... I was hungry.

And after having a frugal breakfast of a couple of idlis, we went to sit down... believe it or not.. right in the first row! There was my grandpa happily waving to people who politely waved back... not having a clue who he was. And with every person who had the misfortune to smile and wave back had to endure another 10 minutes of finding out how they were related to us. Even at this time folks, I had no clue whether I was from the bride's side or the groom's side.

All this time I was happy looking at the fun and then came someone who actually knew who my grandpa was. As they exchanged pleasantries, his eyes fell on me and after studying me intensely for a moment, the following conversation took place.. I'll call the other person X and Grandpa G

X: Is this your grandson?

G: Yes.

X: (Looking at my face again) What is his name?

G: Shreyas

X: Ok... (again looking at my face) What is he doing now?

Me: (clearing my throat) I finished my II PU uncle

X considered me talking to him an insult and walked away.

After that particular incident, we had nothing to do and sat in the front row and watched the festivities going on.

I don't understant why all the women who attend a marriage think it is a sin to wear the same saree for more than 2 hours during a wedding. Looking at the number of women who attend a function and considering the number of sarees they have to change, every marriage hall invariably has one room set aside for all of 'em to change their sarees. Such a room is usually guarded by an elderly lady who's job it is to view every member of the opposite sex who is over 5 years old with suspicion and they shout "Ladies are changing here. Go away" at the top of her voice everytime an unsuspecting kid walks by.

Then there are the cool gangs of cousins who take pleasure in defying their parents' every command while with their cool gang. It was fun watching mothers tell their teenage kids to do some work and then watch as the teenagers coolly said "no".
The worst thing you can do when you go to a marriage, especially one of a far away relative.. stay out of sight of the Grandpa gangs. You will invariably be drawn into conversations related to relationships between individuals which refuses to get any lower then 5 generations.

Its worse for someone who has just completed his II PU as almost everyone you talk to will appoint themselves as the Career counsellor you were searching for all this time and talk nonsense about how an MBA is useless and then talk to you of some relative's son/daughter who is doing his/her MBA and is having a horrible time.

Finally! there was food. And the food was pretty good. So I hogged and came home as early as possible.

End of day1... I'm dreading day 2 which is tomorrow.
Hope I fall sick long enough to bunk tomorrow's marriage.

CIAO

5 comments:

  1. Loool!! I hate marriages too... but i have lots of cousins of about my age on both sides so i always find someone to spend time with.... If not, well, I pester my parents and manage to get out of the place.... Of course, after the oota ;) but in such cases, a scolding when i reach home is unavoidable, but it is worth the escape ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's all go in AVS' footsteps, and lets all go only for the lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Swaroop: Awesome... u still remember that??!! Guys we'll hav to archive all these memories of our profs so that v can get back to it anytime and keep laughing.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. before i ushed to bang only boyes...now ill have to start banging girls also!! :)

    ReplyDelete